B.C. Newly Built Home Property Transfer Tax Exemption

Under: Advice for Buyers, New Homes


Written by

Written on June 5th, 2017


The B.C. Newly Built Home Exemption reduces or eliminates the amount of property transfer tax you pay when you purchase a newly built home.

A newly built home includes:

  • a house constructed and affixed on a parcel of vacant land
  • a new apartment in a newly built condominium building
  • a manufactured home that is placed and affixed on a parcel of vacant land
  • an already constructed house that is removed from one parcel of land and affixed to another parcel of vacant land, as long as the house hasn’t been occupied since it was placed on the new parcel of vacant land
  • a house resulting from the division of an existing improvement affixed to a parcel of land that was also subdivided, as long as this house hasn’t been occupied since the subdivision of the parcel
  • a house converted from an existing improvement on the land. The previous improvement couldn’t have been used as residential (e.g. a warehouse converted into apartments).

If you qualify for the exemption, you may be eligible for either a full or partial exemption from the tax.

If you paid property transfer tax when you purchased vacant land and you now have a newly built home on the land, you may be eligible for a refund of the property transfer tax you paid.

Do I Qualify?

To qualify, the property (land and improvement) transfer must be registered at the Land Title Office after February 16, 2016 and you must be:

  • an individual
  • Canadian citizen or permanent resident (you will be asked to provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or proof of permanent residency and your birthdate)

and the property must:

  • be located in B.C.
  • only be used as your principal residence
  • have a fair market value of $750,000 or less
  • be 0.5 hectares (1.24 acres) or smaller

You may qualify for a partial exemption, if the property:

Find out the amount of your exemption if you qualify.

Foreign entities and taxable trustees are not eligible for the exemption. If you are an individual who doesn’t qualify because you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, but you become one within 12 months of when the property is registered, you may apply for a refund of the property transfer tax.

Find out if you are also eligible to claim a refund of any additional property transfer tax you may have paid.


To apply for the Newly Built Home Exemption, enter exemption code 49 on the Special Property Transfer Tax Return when the property is registered at a Land Title Office.

Occupancy Requirements

After you have registered the property, you must meet occupancy requirements during the first year you own the property. To keep the tax exemption you must:

  • move into your home within 92 days of the date the property was registered at the Land Title Office, and
  • continue to occupy the property as your principal residence for the remainder of the first year.

You will receive a letter at the end of the first year to confirm you meet these requirements.

You may keep part of the exemption if you moved out before the end of the first year. However, you must repay a portion of the amount of the exemption based on the number of days you moved out before the end of the first year.

Note: If the owner passed away, or the property is transferred because of a separation agreement or a court order under the Family Law Act before the end of the first year, the full exemption still applies.

Learn more here: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/property-taxes/property-transfer-tax/understand/exemptions/newly-built-home-exemption


Back To The Top